Thursday 11 November 2010

Extraordinary Heroes at the Imperial War Museum

Guns n Roses

It was pretty gloomy, wet and windy when I made my way to the Imperial War Museum earlier this week, as you can see from the photo!

The early start was for a visit to their new show in a new space: Extraordinary Heroes in the new Lord Ashcroft Gallery.

(I chose not to repeat the epithet JC had used earlier that morning when I saw Lord Ashcroft at the museum. It wouldn't've been helpful.)

I thought the exhibition looked great. Obviously there's an aquired taste to the "treasures" in the IWM. The "big machines" bit downstairs really didn't appeal to the school-cadet-refusing part of me. (No, I will NOT learn to march and shoot guns, thankyouverymuch.) And as its remembrance week too, there's always that awkward feeling of potential jingoism and a slight worry that some people, whisper it, quite like war. Or at least get a bit too excited about studying and remembering it. But whatever your feelings about the legitimacy of various conflicts around the world, there's no denying that these are pretty incredible people being honoured. And why not.
Read my Extraordinary Heroes post on the Visit London Blog or check out my Flickr Set from the IWM

No comments:

Post a Comment