Friday 14 January 2011

Fourth Plinth Announcement: Boy on Rocking Horse, and A Big Blue Cock


This morning, I was lucky enough to attend the unveiling of the next two winning commissions for the Fourth Plinth.

Within a leaking corridor inside City Hall, I jostled with assorted photographers and press, and managed to get a rather wobbly video of the proceedings with my cute little camera. No doubt there'll be far better captures of this on YouTube in the coming days, but for now, I'm quite pleased with mine, even if it is a bit shaky and blurred. (Dean Londonist used it too, which was pleasing.)



As for the winners, I'm pleased these two won.

I really like the boy on the rocking horse, and the two artists behind it sound pretty cool. I'm less convinced by the blue cockerel (insert your own jokes here); but I prefer both these to the Battenburg (Boris' favourite), because I think they're more dynamic, prettier, and, with their height and dimensions, more visible. Somehow there's "movement" in them, particularly the boy.

Looking forward to seeing them up there in 2012 and 2013, anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment