Tuesday 24 February 2009

Dave Gorman @ Clapham Picturehouse

Just back from a fun evening at the Picturehouse in Clapham, listening to Dave Gorman talking about America Unchained.

I like Dave Gorman. I've read a couple of his books, and enjoyed them very much while I've been reading them. I tend to laugh, and think he's pretty much a genius while it's all happening, and then once I've enjoyed the moment, the book, the show (in this case), I'll file it away into the "good, nice" section of my experience filing cabinet. And move on.

That's the interesting thing: I'm not mad about Dave Gorman. I don't think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I don't think I'd call myself a big fan. My bro and sis are much more into him than I am. Hence me being there tonight when A was left with an unclaimed plus one.

And in fact, the documentary (which has already been on TV, and wasn't loved, but now he's doing a book signing tour, and playing the doc as an add-on, I suppose) left me feeling kind of the same way. At the time, I really liked it. It doesn't stand up to too much analysis. It goes very nicely along the "what if" lines, makes you laugh out loud a couple of times, and has a big, friendly, positive personality, and then it ends. If you start thinking about it too much, want it to change your life, your way of thinking, it won't.

When it came to questions (and the nervous, stammery Picturehouse employee had done her bit to ask all the obvious ones), I found Dave Gorman: the person seemed to have exactly the same impact. Interestingly, he seems to demand the same response. "I had this adventure; it was Quite Interesting. I've told the story of my Quite Interesting Adventure, I hope you enjoyed it. If you didn't, I'm not sure I care."

One thing he said which made me laugh was that The Sun had accused him of being an eco warrior, something which he thought was pretty stupid. "I think they've missed the point. Eco warrior. Unless they mean economy warrior?"

In some ways, I think he must be quite an artist to pull off this overwhelming sense of Nice, Friendly, Quite Interesting with nearly everything he does.

I like it.

(And may well forget about it next month.) (And remember again, and smile.)

No comments:

Post a Comment