Tuesday 20 September 2011

American Bag Ladies Flock to London

It seems London is the place to be for American Bag Ladies...

This weekend, I really enjoyed reading the ES's profile on Mulberry's Emma Hill, who, despite her slightly silly photo, actually sounded like a brilliantly down-to-earth person. Now I'm more of a Radley girl myself, but I can see the lasting beauty (craftsmanship and great design) in Mulberry's gorgeous bags. And, of course, it's a great story. Local firm, done good.

And with that much-trumpeted success, it seems there are more brands out there wanting to "bag" a bit of that Kensington Church Street magic. On Monday, I find not one, but two US bag makers have set up shop in London.

Welcome to the greatest city on earth (TM):
  • Coach, who will forever be a brand being cuddled by Gwyneth in my head
  • Kate Spade, who I can't think of without NY clichés like yellow taxis and big apples coming to mind... possibly because this LLG post

Good luck to them both! We Londoners sure love our bags. I love looking at what other people have, and I love looking after my own. And maybe, just maybe, with more choice, the prices might just shrink slightly so we can all enjoy even more of them...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zoe

    Many thanks for your comment today. I think what you are doing at Visit London is great!

    Speaking on American bags...I have them on my mind as well... the Proenza Schouler satchel.

    http://cashmerejeans.blogspot.com/2011/09/proenza-schouler-satchel.html

    I have a Coach bag (yes, I am American) but since living in London, have switched allegiances. As much as I love the PS bag I have to say Mulberry would be my first port of call if I were looking for a new bag.

    Jeanne :)

    ReplyDelete